Translate

LONG & THICK HAIR CARE

So in case you haven't noticed I've got quite a bit of hair on my head. And when I say 'quite a bit' I actually mean so much that when I schedule a hair appointment it usually takes upwards of an hour to dry my hair with TWO stylists each wielding hair dryers tackling cousin it over here. Seriously. I also get it thinned and even then I need the ginormous hair ties to hold it back!





So now that I've proved to you I actually have long and thick hair, you can believe the tips I'm about to impart to you.

1. Buy the best shampoo & conditioner you can: 
everyone's budget is different but buying the best line for your hair really makes a difference. In my mind I section out hair care lines into three different tiers: 1) you can find in grocery stores 2) those that you can find at Ulta 3) those in specialty stores or at the hairstylist. Some of these overlap obviously but you get the picture. The ones from the first tier are chock full of wax to keep the product lasting longer and wax is not good for your hair. Some of my favorite brands are: Aveda, Chi, John Frieda, Biolage, and Paul Mitchell.

2. Switch your shampoo & conditioner when you shower:
I always have two to three different brands and switch it up at different times. Plus use this Neutrogena shampoo twice a month to get all the gunk out of your hair.

3. Comb through your hair while the conditioner is still in it: 
use a wide tooth comb and comb through, starting with your ends, then twist is up and get along with your shower routine. This helps coat all the strands and detangle your hair. Plus it's much easier than trying to fight it after you get out!

4. Air dry when you can:
everyone knows heat styling damages your hair, so I usually air dry. I wash my hair at night and go to sleep with it wet. Sometimes if it's not dry in the morning I will go over it with a hair dryer but usually it's pretty dry. 

5. Deep condition at least once a week: 
thick and long hair needs deep conditioner! It needs it like you need air! It strengthens, protects, and revitalizes your hair. Find a good one (or use coconut oil), saturate your dry hair, throw a hot towel around it, and chill for 10+ minutes, then rinse. Oh lordy it feels so good! 


Source: http://duchessofplumewood.blogspot.com/
zzz